Plants in front of house not doing well

These plants were planted in autumn 2017. Please verify that they are Hoogendorn Holly and if not what are the plants? Please let me know what is wrong with the plants and how to care for them. I have several photos if you need more. Also do you recommend Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent? If yes, are all forms, Spray, etc ok to use? Thank you Joanne

New Castle County Delaware plant identification holly plant health hoogendorn holly plant id

Hoogendorn is a cultivar of Japanese holly, Ilex crenata, and they do look like Japanese holly. These plants were planted in the fall of 2017, just a few months ago. It takes shrubs up to two or three years to become established, depending on drainage and root health. It does look like these plants were chewed by something, whether it was deer or smaller animals such as rabbits. Is the damage higher on the shrubs too? I think you can allow them to put out new growth and reevaluate this summer. Is the drainage good in that area, they are susceptible to root rot from soil fungi.

Animal repellants may help, but would need to be re-applied seasonally. I'm not too familiar with the various products. You could put a small wire fence around plants in the winter for the first year or two.

Good luck with the shrubs. Thank you for contacting Cooperative Extension.

Nancy