Pond question

I have a 2 acre pond with severe erosion taking place around the banks. The water is very murky and I'm wondering what options there are to prevent further erosion and clear the water. I've taken samples of the water and allowed them to sit for a week and it appears to have minimum settlement. I believe there are foliage options to plant but am unsure which ones. There are also catfish in the pond that could be stirring the clay. What can be done to fix these issues? It is a man made pond that was dug approximately 25 years ago. I appreciate any guidance. Thank you. Steve

Nelson County Kentucky pond management agriculture nelson county kentucky

On a pond that size often times erosion is a problem because of wave action against the banks. Many will create a ledge around the pond and fill below and above the shore line with large stone (size of a soft ball and larger) this will eliminate erosion. The catfish are likely the culprit of the turgidity in the water. Barley straw can help reduce the turgidity. Follow the link to a nice publication from fish and wildlife for some more detailed answers. You can also pick up a hard copy at the Nelson County Extension office @ 317 south third street Bardstown Ky 40004. https://articles.extension.org/sites/default/files/w/3/38/MtGPondsSmallLakesKentucky.pdf