Fescue hay

I have some fescue that due to weather is starting get seed heads. Just couldnt get it cut early. Can i just cut those off and then when possible bale the hay? Ive always been told that the seed heads have a toxin in them? This hay will be fed to all types of animals. Thank you

Marshall County Kentucky agriculture hay production marshall county kentucky

Glad to help but am sorry for the delay as I was on vacation. You are talking about the endophyte in tall fescue.

Here is some information on the endophyte:
https://forages.ca.uky.edu/files/tall_fescue_endophyte_concepts_for_web.pdf

Also, you may like our fescue growing publication:

I dont see any benefit from cutting the heads off because they will probably end up in the hay when raked anyway.

Hay fields getting away from producers is a common problem this time of year. Don't feel bad.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. No need in calling the 252-6569 number, thats me.What you sent is what ive already read. I was hoping it was internet hype. Ill just let it go cause i dont need any trouble. Thanks..