How do I get these vines to grow taller?

As you can see from the pictures our vines are not growing very well. We planted two types next to each other a year ago. The species alternate from left to right. ABAB I am wondering what we are doing wrong? How do we get them to grow more? I added fertilizer sticks a week ago. I water once or twice a week. As you can see on the one type the leaves are kind of yellow.

Los Angeles County California

Thank you for your question. When plants are yellowing, it can typically be a result of too little nitrogen (chlorosis), too little sun, or an insect infestation. I can’t tell what amount of sun your plants get. Some fertilizer sticks get fertilizer only to the roots around them, while the root mass may extend out several feet. First, I’d recommend you check closely for aphids, scale or other insects. Second, I’d advise you to have your soil tested for nutrients and pH, and follow their advice re: soil amendments—over the entire root ball area. I hope this is helpful. Good luck!