Pupae in garden soil

I am wondering what this is, and what it will become. Should I be worried; should I try to eradicate? Or live and let live?

Yamhill County Oregon

Thank you for including the nice image of the pupal case. Such pupae are found in the soil and are the intermediate developmental stage between a caterpillar and a moth. These sorts of mothers are often garden pests.

If you find another one, and are interested in knowing which moth will emerge, put the pupa in a clear container, then add a lid of paper towel held in place with a rubber band. Set it in a protected place where you will see it daily; no direct sunlight, please. (I doubt this will work with this pupa because it appears to be seriously injured.)

When the moth emerges, you can post a picture in your reply to this email. Alternately, you can take it to the Yamhill County Extension Service for a first hand look. Location: 2050 NE Lafayette Ave., McMinnville, OR. Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8-5.