Macho Fern

Hi, I bought a beautiful macho fern about 6 weeks ago. The foliage was very thick and dark green. Right after purchase I noticed a few blackened edges on some leaflets. Now, it looks very spindly and shriveled with darkened leaves everywhere. It is currently on the east side of my carport in an urn container. I separated two small ferns and re-planted them, but they seem fine and the black edges aren't spreading on the smaller ferns. Is there a way to save them?

Iberia Parish Louisiana ferns

Thank you for your question. Brown and/or black leaves are typically a symptom of too little or too much water, especially if the plant is in a container that does not drain. Ferns typically require high humidity, which they have in greenhouses, but not in pur homes or outside. Most species in this genus are pretty hardy. I cannot tell from the photos what species you have, but a ‘Boston fern’ seems close. Check your care habits against the recommendations in the following article so you can save the plants that are left: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/boston-fern/boston-fern-care.htm Good luck!