Shrub damage: disease or just effects of winter?

Hello, I have shrubs on either side of my front doorway that are showing some dead branches and leaves. There is also some spotting on leaves (see pictures attached). Can you advise on what this is and how to treat? These were planted about 7 years ago and I haven't seen this problem before. I believe this is some variety of nandina. Thank you!

Montgomery County Maryland shrubs hollies winter damage hollies with winter damage

This is winter damage. Hollies and other broad-leaved evergreens are showing a lot of damage this spring. They will for the most part grow out of it. The damaged or dead leaves will fall off. New growth will come in. When that happens, then prune out any dead tips or branches.

One reason hollies suffered so much is that we had a very dry fall (and winter, for the most part.) When that happens, and broad-leaved evergreens cannot replace the moisture that their leaves continue to lose from the leaves over the winter--because the soil is dry and frozen.

Be sure to always water your hollies in a dry fall, before winter sets in.

Very helpful--and a relief. Thank you very much!