Type of grass

Hi there. I need some help identifying the type of grass on my lawn so that I know what type of weed and feed I should use. We just moved into this house las August. The grass grew very slowly - I think we mowed after 6-8 weeks. I live in Arbutus, MD.

Baltimore County Maryland lawns and turf weeds plant identification

The clumps of green growth in your lawn look like either tall fescue or ryegrass. Because the majority of your lawn is brown, we suspect it is a warm season grass, possibly bermudagrass or zoysia. Was the grass green in late summer when you moved in? If it was, that would be a good indicator that it's a warm season grass and not a cool-season type. It also looks like your one neighbor across the street has a similar type of grass; you could ask if they know if it is a bermudagrass or zoysia, or wait until the weather warms up and see if the brown grass develops new growth. If it greens up again, this will confirm that it is a warm season grass and you can follow the care recommendations for this type of lawn found in our turfgrass maintenance publication: https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG112_Tur...

ckc

Thank you so much for your reply. It was a very lush, green lawn last summer when we first saw it ~mid June and then it stayed very green. We thought it was odd that it grew so slowly. We closed on the house mid-July and didn't mow the lawn until end of August or beginning of september -- mainly because our lawn mower broke! But we'd never lived in a house where the grass grew so slowly, even in the heat of summer.

Thank you, again. Carolyn

Image from the corner was taken late June. The second image was Aug 26, 2017.

Zoysiagrass grows slowly, which is a nice feature--less mowing!

Be sure to read over the info in the link we gave you. Zoysiagrass requires different care than the more common tall fescue that is in most lawns.