Flower Garden Needs Re-organizing

My crocus, tulip and narcissus bulbs seem to have become scattered throughout my flower garden over the years—one here, two or three there—desperately in need of grouping together. After they have finished blooming and the leaves have dried this year, I would like to take them up and redistribute them more in clusters. Could you please tell me the proper procedure for lifting and re-planting fall planting bulbs without harming them too much? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Doris

Arapahoe County Colorado

Hello Doris,

You could actually approach this several ways. Waiting until the leaves have turned yellow and are easily pulled out is the traditional way of transplanting bulbs. This procedure, as you know, has always been the usual way to handle transplanting them.

It is also possible to dig up your bulbs after they have finished blooming but while they still have the leaves attached. The advantage to this method is that your bulbs are easy to find, divide and replant in their new location.

Either way of diving and transplanting your bulbs should bring good results if you take the time to work the soil in the new location and add some compost. See the attached information with the link at the bottom of the page entitled "Choosing a Soil Amendment."

http://planttalk.colostate.edu/topics/annuals-perennials/1010-bulbs-maintaining/