Flower Garden Needs Re-organizing

My crocus, tulip and narcissus bulbs seem to have become scattered throughout my flower garden over the years—one here, two or three there—desperately in need of grouping together. After they have finished blooming and the leaves have dried this year, I would like to take them up and redistribute them more in clusters. Could you please tell me the proper procedure for lifting and re-planting fall-planting bulbs without harming them too much? Many thanks for any advice you can offer. Doris

Arapahoe County Colorado

Hello Doris,

Being that your bulbs are scattered the first thing you would want to do after they have finished blooming would be to mark the location of each bulb that you would like to transfer. This will help you in locating the various bulbs after the leaves have dried.

At the end of August, dig up the bulbs and allow them to dry in a shady and cool location for a few days. Take care to expose the bulb without damaging the main body of the bulb. Then proceed with the replanting into the new desired locations during September, as late as August. As a general rule, planting depth is four times the height of the bulb between the soil surface and the tip of the bulb. Make sure to plant the bulbs with the growing tip up.

Please see CSU Fact Sheet # 7.410 to address any additional questions that may arise.