Vines at the base of a tree

We cleared a lot of underbrush this winter, so that good things can grow. One of my trees has a vine coming back up. It appears it has a 2 1/2 diameter root choking the base. The next closest tree is 25 feet away, so I doubt it is the root of a neighbor tree. What is the best way to protect the tree? Do I try to cut the root? Is it advisable to keep the vines cut regularly so that they don't climb and choke the tree? I really like this tree. Please see images. Thank you!

Calvert County Maryland

It looks like what you have there is Oriental bittersweet vine. It is an invasive plant that produces thick vines and spreads by seeds. You can find more about it here. http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/problems/oriental-bittersweet
You can cut out the vine at the base of the tree as well as the young shoots in the surrounding area. It may take persistence to keep cutting back the new shoots. You can mulch around the tree to help suppress weed seeds in the soil. Mulch under a tree should be no more than 2-3" deep and keep it about 6" away from the trunk of your tree.

ckc