ash tree replacement

We have a wonderful ash tree in our front yard but I am worried that it will succumb to the ash borer in the next 5-7 years. I'd like to plant a tree near it now so that if we do need to cut down our big tree the newer one will be somewhat established. What type of tree would you recommend? We have enjoyed the Ash tree for it's shade, shape, & size. Pretty much all around love it but wouldn't put in another ash because of the danger of losing it to the ash borer. I live in Olde Town Arvada.

Jefferson County Colorado trees and shrubs

Excellent question! And good job planning ahead. Tell me a little more about the ash:

• Is it planted in turf?
  • How do you water it and how often?
  • What exposure is it
  • How would you describe the rest of your landscape (formal, xeric, cottage, minimalist, etc)?
Best,

It's in our front yard surrounded by grass/turf. I think it was planted shortly after the home was built (1946) so the tree is around 50-70 years old. We deep water once or twice a year and then just water the area/grass around it every other day in the summer. It faces East but also gets Western expsosure. Our home is often described as looking like a cottage and the surrounding landscape reflects that!

Thank you for the information. Below are some suggested trees of similar size and cultural needs. I have listed trees that are detailed in the CSU "Deciduous Trees for Street and Shade" http://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/garden/07419.pdf, and that also have been given a grade of 'A' in the "Front Range Tree Recommendation List" https://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/garden/treereclist.pdf.

Catalpa speciosa, Northern Catalpa, 50 x 25
Celtis occidentalis, Common Hackberry, 55 x 50
Gleditsia triacanthos v. inermis, ‘Shademaster’ Honeylocust, 50 x 40
Gymnocladus dioicus, Kentucky Coffeetree, 50 x 40
Quercus muehlenbergii, Chinquapin Oak, 40 x 40
Quercus robur, english oak, 50 x 40
Tilia americana, American linden

• American Sentry® Linden 40 x 25
  • ‘Redmond’ 45 x 25
Tilla cordata, Littleleaf linden, 45 x 30
  • ‘Glenleven’ 45 x 30
  • ‘Greenspire’ 45 x 25
Look up pictures online to see what you like &/or take this list to your favorite nursery.

Best regards,

Thanks so much!