10 year old holly has very few leaves

Good morning, I’ve got a 10-year-old Holly that seems to never be able to keep its leaves. It is striped nearly bare as you can see. I Live in Frederick County but I’m in a very windy area in a valley. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Frederick County Maryland shrubs holly winter damage abiotic issues trees tree

Thank you for contacting eXtension. From your text it seems you intended to attach a photo, but none came through. Please resend with the attachment.

Sorry Koralleen! See attached.

This looks like winter damage. Many broadleaved evergreens have been affected by this. This winter was cold, windy, and dry with temperature fluctuations.
Next fall water well before the ground freezes. Here is our website on winter damage
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/winter-damage-trees-and-shrubs

At this point the old foliage should drop and new foliage will emerge. The foliage can be slow to develop. It is possible some of the branches may be dead. Scratch the branches and look for green tissue. If you see it then the branches may be viable. Be patient before you prune.
Keep well watered during dry periods this season. Make sure mulch is no thicker than several inches and away from the base of the stems.