citrus

I have a improved Meyer lemon. that did very well last year but it started to lose all of its leave towards September 2017 i put it in the green house for the winter but it kept losing leafs. and now its spring and its flowering a lot but the no leafs is concerning me. I have many other citrus but they all look health and flowering they are even producing fruit. but just this one Meyer Lemon seems to be the weak one. i have fertlized it but does nothing but flower. I hope you can give me some advice if you can i know that citrus do's not grow and you might have limited adice but i will take anything.

Multnomah County Oregon citrus

Thank you for your question. Citrus are evergreen but do drop leaves, usually when they are stressed, too cold, have too much fertilizer, or not enough fertilizer, if there’s frost, or they are too wet. Meyer lemons are hardy in USDA zones 9 to 11, where historical low temperatures reach only 15 degrees F. (This is why many gardeners bring their Meyer lemon plants inside over the winter.) I'm not sure where you are in Multnomah County, but you can see which zone by putting your zip code into this interactive map. If you are in a zone with a number under 9, there's no guarantee the plant will survive our winters, let alone produce leaves, blossoms and fruit.

As the above article suggests, fertilize with a fertilizer designed for citrus plants, protect them from frost and too much sunlight, and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck!