CANNED CHICKEN BREAST

I need to know if I can, can split chicken breast whole? Thank you Sandra

Marion County Oregon

Thank you for your question. I checked in with our food safety and preservation specialist. There shouldn’t be any reason not to can large chunks of chicken. Whole thighs or drumsticks are canned, with or without bones. There should be heat transfer through the entire jar regardless of chunk size. Think about how you would like to use the meat when you open the jar and what size you want the pieces in then.

Chicken must be canned in a pressure canner. You can find the proper processing time in our Canning Meat, Poultry and Game publication available at: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/sites/default/files/documents/pnw_361_canningmeatpoultrygame.pd...

If you have a dial gauge, it should be tested for accuracy at least annually. You can bring it to the Extension Office in your County for free testing.

Best wishes,
Tonya