Planting (almost) bare root dogwood tree

I ordered one on line. It arrived today (4.5.18) and appears quite healthy. * how do I care for it until I plant it AND * when do you recommend that I do so AND * do you have planting recommendations specific to (Kousa) dogwoods? Thanks so much!

Kenton County Kentucky tree planting kenton county kentucky horticulture

Hello!

The tree should be kept in a garage ( a cool area) if you can, with moist wrap around the roots. It is really important that the roots not dry out.

Plant it as soon as you can-- towards the end of the week we're supposed to get warmer temperatures, and it's not supposed to rain for a few days (fingers crossed). I have attached the link to some information on tree planting that should answer all your questions, and there are photos as well. I can't think of anything planting-wise specific to dogwoods, although they like to be at the edge of the woods, on a north side of the house, or other area where they get a little shade.

If you have other questions, please feel free to call us at the Extension office.

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/HO/HO113/HO113.pdf

Thanks! Good info. Appreciated.