Clothing Moths

Are clothing moths a new thing to Anchorage? I've just found holes in a cashmere sweater, after being suspicious but not convinced by holes in my smartwool. Looking for any directions on how to clean and make sure I don't have to deal with this again. I have googled and have a starting point. For some reason I thought we didn't have this sort of pest in Alaska. Thank you for your help!!

Anchorage Alaska moths

Clothes moths are, unfortunately, not new to Anchorage or Alaska. We do have them and have had them for quite some time.

The best recommendations for dealing with clothes moths center around cleaning and storage of host material (woolens, but also furs, feathers, and other animal materials). Since you are finding holes in clothing, first do a thorough inspection of clothing items for damage or insect lifestages. Launder or dry clean clothing and store in an airtight container. Vacuum cracks and crevices of closets and dressers and inspect other potential host material you may have in the home such as wool rugs, taxidermy, or furs.

If you find any adult moths or larvae, you collect them and bring them to our office for a more specific identification, which can help determine some more specific management strategies.

For more information on clothes moths, I recommend this publication from Penn State or this publication from the University of California.