Can I use freshly chipped wood chips as mulch from trees recently cut down...

Can I use freshly chipped wood chips as mulch from trees recently cut down Will they kill the saplings and perennials I have planted

Clermont County Ohio

Hardwood trees, like oak, hickory, ash, maple can be turned in to great mulch. Generally, aged wood chips are better for plants than freshly cut wood chips. Also, fresh wood chips will pull more nitrogen from your soil than aged chips and could cause some nutrition deficiencies. The age of the tree at the time of cutting should not be a factor. More important, around your saplings, you want to mulch correctly.

You should keep the mulch “six inches away from the trunks of young trees and one foot away from the trunks of older, mature trees.” Ideally, the mulch will be in a 2 to 4 inch layer extending out to the drip line, because lawn grass releases chemicals that inhibit the growth of trees. Not many homeowners with large trees want such vast expanses of mulch. Trees can grow in lawns, but more slowly. The most important thing is to avoid burying the tree flare. See the image I will include......

Also, fresh wood chips around your flower beds should be avoided for the same reasons - possible depletion of nitrogen from the soil.