Transplanting a Hibiscus Tree

I have a Hibiscus tree about 6-7 feet tall, which I've had for about 6 years. I transplanted it about 2 or 3 years ago and it's in a pot about 11 1/2" diameter and 10" tall. I was told not to transplant it again, but I believe it's outgrown that pot and am wondering if that's true and/or how much bigger a pot should be used and the best time to do it. When the temperature weather gets consistently 50 and above I take it into a 3 season porch for a while then outside. Thank you for your service

Ramsey County Minnesota houseplants hibiscus transplanting horticulture

That pot sounds terribly shallow for a tree that big. To see if it has outgrown its pot, you can pull it out of the pot and take a look at the roots. If they are pretty solid and going around in circles, it is time to transplant. I would go with a pot a couple inches wider than what you have but several inches deeper. You may have to gently tease the roots a bit to loosen the root ball up. I cannot tell you what needs to be done until you actually take a look at the root ball and then proceed. Do not plant it deeper than the soil line now but the extra space on the bottom will allow the roots to expand.