brown grass

The article about nimblewill in this past weekend's paper triggered this email. I've had a very small patch of grass in my front lawn that is different than the rest of the lawn. I reseeded it a couple of years ago to no avail. It is currently brown/tan, very matted down, and tears up quite easily. Any idea what it is and what if anything I should do? Thank you.

Harford County Maryland lawns and turf plant identification grass identification nimblewill dead patch of grass grass dead for several years

Doesn't look like nimblewill. It probably would have spread around in your lawn and, actually, your grass looks better. Also nimblewill tough wiry (though skinny) roots, that don't pull up easily.

We can't say what it is from the photos. Send us photos when it greens up.

The patch is such an odd shape, we're wondering if there was a chemical spill of some sort there in the past. Have you ever dug down under the patch to see if there may be something underneath?