Help! Our home in Hideaway Hills is being invaded by cockroaches that seem to...

Help! Our home in Hideaway Hills is being invaded by cockroaches that seem to be popping up in our sinks. We do have a have a septic system. We have had this home for six years, but this is the first time we've seen this phenomenon. We have the septic cleaned periodically, but because, over the years, we have had periods of greater and lesser usage of this house we don't have this done on a regular basis. We are now retired and will live here full time from now on. What can we do to address this problem in a way that will maintain our septic system and not be toxic for our family and pets?

Hocking County Ohio

Hi,

There are many kinds of cockroaches in Ohio, have you had this one identified? Once we know what kind, then more specific remedies may be appropriate. Questions I would ask you consider is the insects are not coming from the septic system but are walking on the countertop and falling into the sink. You might want to buy and put some cockroach glue traps around your sink and other parts of the home (other rooms, in cabinet beneath sink, etc.) to see where else they may be...this might also help locate the source of invasion. Many baits exist so if the problem continues, I would recommend investigating this strategy.

In asking which variety of cockroach
we are dealing with are
you saying that this is relevant to which poison to use?

Perhaps they could be invading from outside; we live in a heavily wooded area. We have lived owned this property for six years, and this new activity. We have begun using physical barriers to the septic (ie keeping sink drains plugged and covers over shower drains). We saw a dramatic decrease in cockroach activity right away, and we have seen none for the past few days, so I believe we are on to something. However, we don’t see this as a permanent solution.

Thank you for your response.
sox

In asking which variety of cockroach
we are dealing with are

Thank you for your response.
sox

In asking which variety of cockroach
we are dealing with are

Thank you for your response.
sox

The species might indicate if they are accidental invaders (wood roaches) or there to stay (other species). If you see less from plugging drain, I would continue to do that when possible. The baits may be able to help if placed where roaches from drain can easily contact and feed on the material. Maybe apply bait to back of plug and insert into drain? I don't know if this is a legal application or not, please consult the label before trying. I looked online for more information about control and didn't find anything concrete unfortunately. If the problem continues, you may need to contact a pest control company to remedy the situation. Unfortunately I don't have any other recommendations at this time. Good luck.