Ground shrinkage

To start, I am only guessing that you may have answers for me. I have lived in this house for going on 42 years now, and in the last two to three years, the ground in front (east facing) , and to the North side of my house has shrunk away lower than the concrete. 3 inches in the front of the house, and about 4 to 5 inches on the North side. The concrete slab under my carport has settled about one inch on the North side, with the slab cracking in the middle. I am becoming concerned. My best guess for help was the extension service, if you have no idea, do you have any thoughts toward a referral to anyone with advice? Thank You in advance, Michael W. Wilhelm

Washington County Oregon home foundation

It sounds as though you need to have a home foundation inspection done, and fairly soon. If there has been movement of the foundation it can cause a shift in the areas around your home, such as the carport. I did a quick google search of "Washington County Oregon Foundation" and had lots of results. Of course, we also recommend getting several opinions and check with the Better Business Bureau and verify their licenses before having any work done.