Animal Biology Tool

Hi my name is Prasana, I have two biology questions I have no idea how to answer, can you please help? 1. What is the tool that biologists use to identify large animal anatomy? 2. How would you put "canis domesticus" in a grammatically correct sentence? Thank you for your help.

Oregon companion animals biology

Hi Prasana! These are great biology questions! 1. One tool biologists use to study large animal anatomy is necropsy. When a large animal passes away, a necropsy can be performed to determine the cause of death and also to study the species' anatomy. Depending on the type of animal, biologists can use X-Ray machine to study the skeletal bones. A recent scientific break through was training dogs how to remain still for an MRI scan. MRI, or magnetic resonance imaging, does not use ionizing radiation like an X-Ray so it is a safer procedure. It also allows for biologists to study the dogs in real-time. One research group studied dog's brain anatomy by training them to lie still for several minutes for a MRI scan.

2. The scientific name for the domestic dog is Canis familiaris. Grammatically correct sentence - The Canis familiaris was the first species to be domesticated by humans.

Thank you,

Kristen