Building and Starting a Slaughterhouse/ Butcher Shop

Greetings to the person that will be replying back to this question/email. I'd like to start off by introducing myself. My name is Rahman, and i'm very keen and excited to start the road of entrepreneurship. So a few weeks ago, my uncle proposed the idea of opening up our own family business and asked me for some help. Me doing all I can while trying to juggle my personal, work and home life find it very difficult and thats how I ended up here. He has recently bought some land next E Davison and Conant. Right next to the freeway, even showed me around the area as well and I believe its the perfect location considering, area, traffic and locality. We are in the small town of Hamtramck, right near the Detroit side. as far as starting and how to go on about opening the establishment, that's where we've encountered a road block on. I know certain permits and licensing is required. but how many and which ones will we require? Also i want to know the guideline on how to start it till the finished product. Ok we already have the land so do we start by constructing the building and the skeleton of the business itself or what? any help would be much appreciated. Please and thanks!

Sincerely, Rahman

Wayne County Michigan

Good Morning:

I would recommend your first step should be to schedule a meeting with the City of Hamtramck Planning Department to talk with the city planners to determine if the parcel of land you purchased is zoned for a slaughter house and butcher shop.

The planners at the city of Hamtramck will walk you through the process and will provide you with specific information regarding the planning, zoning and permitting processes.

You should schedule this meeting very soon before you spend money on site plans or building elevations.

I hope this information is helpful.

Have a wonderful day,

Crystal Wilson