Canning homemade mustard

Hi there, I'm making my first few batches of homemade mustard (various types & recipes) to give as hostess gifts. I would like to can them to extend the shelf life. How do I do this? (I've made lots of jams & jellies which involve a water bath method).

Washington County Oregon food safety home food preservation canning

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert!

If you are planning to make homemade mustard suitable for canning, you must use a tested recipe in order to prevent a potential food borne illness. If the recipe that you are using has not been tested and approved for home canning, the mustard should be prepared and stored in the refrigerator. However, there are a few mustard recipes that have been tested and approved for home canning on the Ball canning website: www.freshpreserving.com/recipes-dressings-marinades-dips/

Good Luck!

OK. Got it. Thank you for your quick reply.
I guess I should have asked this question before making about 8 cups of mustard.
However, now that the horse is out of the barn, how long is it safe to store it in the refridgerator?

I was unable to locate a safe storage timeline for "homemade" mustard. For maximum freshness, it needs to be stored in the refrigerator at 40 degrees in an air-tight container. There are, however, some visible signs to look for that indicate that it has gone bad, including separation between the liquid and other ingredients. The mustard can also develop an unpleasant taste or odor at that point. I hope that this information is helpful.