animal bedding as mulch?

Asked March 27, 2018, 1:12 AM EDT

Hi, Could I use my goat's bedding as mulch for our fruit trees? The goats bedding consist on wood fir chips, and alfalfa/orchard grass that falls down when they eat. Also has goat pee and droppings. Let me know! and many thanks!

Benton County Oregon fruit trees soil fertility

Thank you for your mulching question. I can refer you to a (very scientific, very long) Minnesota Extension article discussing the benefits of using manure and compost in commercial fruit and vegetable production (which I appreciate yours is not.) You can read the entire article, or focus on the information relevant to you:

"Do not surface apply raw manure under orchard trees where fallen fruit will be harvested."

Had your goat's bedding contained no animal waste, especially uncomposted manure, there would be less of a risk. A study of "best practices" in u-pick operations similarly recommends that "Mulch used between rows is clean straw, that has not been used previously as bedding."

Finally, here is a link to a general article about mulching--without animal waste-- fruit trees, and recommended practices. Hope these are helpful. Good luck!

Many thanks! I appreciatte your thorough answer and good articles to read.
Patty