Equine Shelter

I will be moving 2 horses from Central California to Rock River, Wyoming. I'm concerned about winter weather. Do people put horses in barns or run in shelters during winter storms? Any information on barns and/or run in shelters would be appreciated.

Albany County Wyoming horses

Yes some people do put horses in shelters and others do not. There are stalls available at the Albany County Fairgrounds. I am not sure on boarding options in Rock River. You can give Doug (307-760-5602) a call for details regarding the stalls located in Laramie. If you have other questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Thank you for your answer.

I won't need to board I have 70 acres in the area and will be building a house. I was just trying to get an idea on a structure for the horses.

From your answer it sounds like the horses won't need much at all? Maybe a way to get out of the snow and wind? Or is that not an issue?

If you plan to keep them on the property you might consider at least some sort of wind break. If your property is is highly exposed, you might seriously think about building a wind break since natural wind breaks usually take a long time to establish. An option that many people use is an structure that has a roof and is enclosed on three sides generally with the open side facing east. Your horses might adapt well to the conditions at Rock River, but I would suggest taking a close look at what the topography of the property looks like for providing some sort of shelter.

If you have more questions please let me know.
Thanks,