fruit trees

Asked March 25, 2018, 8:54 AM EDT

What kind of fruit trees grow best in my area? I live in Harford County, Md. The zip code is 21047. I would like to plant apricot, pear, apple and peach trees. Are there certain varieties that are more hardy than others? This is purely for enjoyment so, I don't want to invest a lot of time and work into their maintenance.

Harford County Maryland fruit pear peach tree fruit apricot hardy fruit trees apple low maintenance fruit trees

When you say you want enjoyment, do you mean visual or fruit? Growing good fruit on the trees you list will require pruning, fertilizing, but most of all, spraying. For maintenance free fruit, look into figs and persimmons.

Here is our online info on tree fruits: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/plants/tree-fruits
For recommended varieties, use the link to "Getting Started with Tree Fruits." There are always new varieties beting developed. Chose ones with the highest disease and insect resistance. It will be well worth it.

All our recommended varieties are hardy here. You are Zone 7a (6b to be safe). Any tree you purchase should be hardy to that zone. Apricots (and peaches) are not as hardy as apples and pears, and not as long-lived. You can enjoy the blossom display of apples and pears for many years. In years when the weather is just right, you may get some edible fruit. Otherwise, the wildlife with thoroughly enjoy the trees.