How many times do I need to treat with Premethrin

Hi there. I've had my chickens for about a year and just the other day noticed fowl mites. I went to my local store and got premethrin dusting powder, and dusted under their wings, their vents, and the hen house. I was sure to remove their food and water before dusting and also to use a gloved hand to pat it under their wings and on their vents. I've noticed from your above comment that we can keep eating the eggs, which is a relief. But I was wondering if I need to do this process again and if so how soon? And how many times? Thank you in advance!

Oakland County Michigan poultry

I would suggest every 2-3 weeks to treat the birds again. Keep an eye on the birds and check for mites but would suspect that you will have them under control within 6 weeks depending on the infestation.

I've read that since their life cycle is only about a week, I need to do it in a week and then again in another week to kill and break the whole cycle. Is that not correct? I just want to make sure these guys don't become a problem. Thank you so much!

That is fine. You will not be penalized for being aggressive. The biggest issue is you need to make sure that once you begin to treat, you clean the coop. Otherwise, you may take care of what is on the bird, but will not get the underlying issue.

Thank you!

Hello Expert!

Thank you for your patience with me. So, after the initial treatment (coop, patting under wings and vents on all birds), we repeated in about 7-10 days. It's been about 9 days since second treatment. I don't see any bugs/eggs on the birds, but some are still losing feathers. Is this normal?

I want to treat again this weekend, and then do a whole coop clean out/scrub when the weather improves and do at least one more treatment. I have been washing eggs. I've also heard that this is most common in spring/fall, and in birds this age (20-40 weeks). Does this mean things should start to improve on their own, as well?

The feather loss is concerning me. It's just all soft on either side of the vent where the feathers were. No scabs/blood or anything, but no feathers either. What's your take on this?

Thank you again so much for your time!
Concerned Chicken Keeper

Glad to hear you are not seeing any more fowl mites. You will tend to potentially see more mites in the spring and fall usually due to infestation from wild birds. Wild birds are covered in them and can easily transmit to your flock if they are exposed to them.

With respect to the feather loss, how old are the birds, could you send a picture? Hard to troubleshoot at this point with out seeing what you are seeing.

Let me know.

Hi Darrin,

Thanks again!

Due to our terrible weather in Michigan (where's spring?) we have not been able to re-treat or do a whole coop clean out yet. The black birds are still losing feathers, it's more pronounced above their tails and on their legs now (one bird is worse than the other). The birds are 38 weeks. I picked one up and looked at it closely. The skin is clean and smooth, no scabs or blood, but on some of the bottommost feathers I do see some eggs - no adult bugs through. I will retreat as soon as possible (probably this weekend) but do I have to worry about them building up a resistance to the drug? Is there anything I am missing or can add/do differently? I really would like to put this behind me and get the girls their feathers back.

Will they grow back on their own? Or not until they molt in the fall? Will get updates/photos as soon as possible. I don't have anyone at the house to help me with treating/photos right now and need to snag an extra pair of helping hands very soon.

Many thanks, again, for all of your expertise and patience in helping my "Ladies."

Jennifer

Jennifer,

You shouldn't have to worry about resistance, it could happen, but not likely unless you are using every single day, seven days a week. You are doing what you need to do correctly so nothing more that you can do in that respect. The feathers will grow back, but if they are in the prime of egg laying, then it might not occur until the molt.