planting annuals in pots

When is the best time to start annual flowers in pots in a greenhouse? We'd like to have them lush and beautiful by mid June.

Linn County Oregon container gardening

Thank you for your question. I am not certain whether you intend to leave the flowers in the pots, or whether you anticipate planting them in the garden soil. Some, like nasturtiums, can be directly seeded (and actually don't transplant well). But here is a link to an Extension article that list many popular annual flower plants, with the time and conditions needed for early growth. Although the article doesn't specify, the "growing medium" should be a mix specifically designed for seed planting, not just "potting soil." The latter isn't sterile, and pathogens can lurk in it. Once the plants have gotten their first 'real' leaves (not the two that first appear), you can transplant them into pots with potting soil.

Here is another link to an Extension article with information about flowers that prefer to be direct seeded, like the nasturtium I mentioned above.

If you are wanting other or more information, please don't hesitate to write back, and I can provide more help. Good luck!