Falling leaves on my Lemon Tree

A year ago I got this lemon tree, putting it outside for the summer and inside during the winter. This recent winter the tree hasn't been doing so great. The stems turn black and then the leaves start to Brown and fall off, as if it were a deciduous tree. I water it whenever it looks dry (about 2-3 times/week). The soil has a nice layer of gravel at the bottom with holes in the pot for drainage. During the winter I put it under a UV grow light which has been helpful to my other citrus trees. What is causing this? How can I stop it?

Salt Lake County Utah

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, the grow lights distort the plant's coloration and shape, and I can't glean much information from them. Although leaf problems are typically caused by a watering issue, many other factors may be at issue. I suggest you take some photographs with natural light, and break off a leaf or two, and take all of this to your county Extension office at 2001 South State Street, Suite S1-300, Salt Lake City (phone 385-468-4828) during business hours. I suspect they will be able to assess the plant's condition and make recommendations. Good luck!