Pond Management with lily pads

Asked March 20, 2018, 8:21 AM EDT

I live in South Chesterfield and have a 1-2 acre pond on my property. Over the years, lily pads have invaded the pond. The pond contains fish (bass, crappie & brim) as well as turtles. The lily pads have consumed about 3/4 of the pond. We have tried numerous products to get rid of the majority of the lily pads. While they all work for about 4-8 weeks, the lily pads still come back and multiply even further. Looking for advice on how to eliminate the lily pads from the majority of the pond.

Chesterfield County Virginia

Not sure which products you have used previously. While 2,4 D and glyphosate products are generally cheaper and more readily available, they don't always kill plant down to the root and with lily extensive rhizomes, they usually come back.

I think a triclopyr or imazapyr product (labelled for aquatic use) will translocate to roots and do a more permanent job.
More info at:
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/other/landscaping/hgic1720.html

remember when treating pond weeds only do small portion at a time (i.e. 1/3 of total pond coverage) to avoid oxygen depletion caused by decaying vegetation.

and always follow label