Trouble Timming Thompson Seedless grape vine

I have 2 grape vines under an arbor. I have no trouble with the Concord vines. Each year, I cut out the old canes and choose which of last years growth to keep. I have been doing this successfully for years. The Thompson vines do not talk to me in a way that I can understand. The trunk does not put out new canes. The only new growth this time was off of last years canes, and none of it looked at all healthy. Through desperation, I cut the vines back to almost nothing this year. Do you have any advise that you can give me on how to take care of this grape plant?

Washington County Oregon

Thanks for your question about your grapes. I assume you have already found and read the OSU Extension article on growing table grapes found here. I'm sure you are aware of the differences between "cane pruning" and "spur pruning." (This article explains the difference on pages 8 through 12.) Concord grapes need the cane pruning technique, as do Thompson grapes. From your description, I'm thinking that you may--through desperation--have found the method to produce more fruit, but perhaps you can compare the techniques recommended in the article with your actions, and, if inconsistent, apply them next year. I hope this is helpful. Good luck!