Brown and dead Arborvitae twigs and plants

Asked March 15, 2018, 11:08 AM EDT

Can you help identify a solution to prevent my arborvitae from continuing to die? The plant gets brown twigs and then just continues to turn brown.

Benton County Oregon

Hello. Unfortunately there is quite a range of problems that could be causing your arborvitae problems. Without photos or samples of the problem I cannot speculate about what is going with your arborvitae. Plant stress, a variety of insects and a several fungal diseases could be causing the problem. I suggest that you take photos showing the planting with the damaged areas. Then prune some samples out and bring them in to the Extension Office where the Master Gardener help desk is located. Be sure to show root area of the plants. A history of when the browning started and any steps taken to try and stop the issue is also needed as is information about watering during our dry season. The Extension Office is located at 4077 Research Way, Corvallis 97333. I suggest that you phone first to ensure a Master Gardener is on duty, phone is 541-766-6750