loosing young chicken to breathing issue

I recently lost 2 point of lay hens to ....bronchitis? weazing , gaping no mucus in eyes or nostrils. Had one 3yr old start weazing, she responded to tylan 50 the young ones did not. I would like to add to my flock as needed (I loose a couple each year to predation as they free range our property) but have read that it is stressful to mix different ages and the older ones my now be carriers of the bronchitis. Any advice? My hens have a clean uncrowded coop and run, clean water with drop board and sand footing I scoop regularly.

Washington County Oregon veterinary question chicken health

I suspect that you are not dealing with Infectious Bronchitis (IB) but with Mycoplasma gallisecpticum (MG) or often called Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD). Without a proper diagnosis it is difficult to determine. There is no treatment for IB as it is a virus and CRD is difficult to treat. To get the proper antibiotics a diagnosis is necessary and you will need to get the help of a veterinarian.

Culling of infected birds may be necessary to get rid of the problem. You should find a poultry vet in your area that can help.

If necessary you can bring affected birds to the OSU Veterinary Diagnostic Lab (541-737-3261) for a necropsy to get a diagnosis.

So does that mean any new chicks introduced to my flock will likely become ill? If I remove older hens is the virus/bacterium still in the ground? Do you know of any vets that treat chickens? My vets (cats and horses)do not know of any. We are located between hillsboro and Newberg zip code 97123.

introducing young birds in with sick birds greatly increase the chance the young birds will become infected as well. If the older sick birds are removed from the flock in a few week's time (depending on the pathogen) the infection rate drops significantly. Most infectious agents don't survive long outside of the host

Dr. Pierce at one of the Benfield Animal Hospitals in Hillsboro has some poultry background