gladiola

What varieties of glads grow well in Curry County, on the ocean? Plus we have a lot of hungry deer.

Curry County Oregon bulbs horticulture

Thank you for your gladiolus question. The good news is that glads seldom have severe damage from deer per this source. The most important factor to virtually every type of underground structure is that the soil is well-draining (which your more sandy soil at the coast tends to be.) Gladiolus bulbs are hardy to USDA hardiness zones 7 and 8 (with winter mulching), but must be stored over the winter if in zones 6 and below (unless of a hardy variety). I don't know which USDA zone you are in, since Curry County ranges from a cold zone of 4b to a high of 10 a. You can find your specific zone by looking up your city here.

As to variety, it really depends on what characteristics you want in the flower, as explained here. It starts with your USDA zone, and then you need to decide whether you want a hardy variety (that you might not have to take up in the fall) or a more cold-vulnerable one. Typically, the labels on the corm bag will tell you the USDA zones, so you should go equipped with that information. Hopefully, your local garden centers are stocked only with the ones appropriate to your area. But the internet is full of resources to help you choose. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but this is the best I can give you with the information. Good luck!