Invasive English ivy

Asked March 6, 2018, 4:27 PM EST

I am waging war against English Ivy strangling trees. The vines are 2 to 5 inches in diameter. I can cut them with a saw but I also want to treat the cut trunks with an herbicide to kill the roots. What do you recommend?

Baltimore County Maryland english ivy vines invasives invasive vines herbicide for invasive vines

Use a systemic herbicide containing glyphosate or triclopyr. Apply it immediately to freshly cut stems. Keep it off the tree's bark by using a barrier of cardboard or plastic.

Because the leaves of English ivy have a waxy coating, when spraying foliage you must always use a sticker-spreader added to the herbicide. And use a high concentration of the herbicide.

Here is help with English ivy control: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/problems/invasive-vine-groundcover-control

Thanks! I have an old ( 20+ years ) can of triclopyr. Is it still effective after that time?

No. Pesticides shouldn't be kept for more than two years. Dispose of the old product according to the label instructions.

ckc