Azaleas and Rhododendrum Lace Bug

Asked March 5, 2018, 6:01 PM EST

Is it too late to save my azaleas from lace bug? The leaves turned white in October. It looks like no new growth is coming in either. I sprayed Neem once in October. I was planning on spraying neem oil in April, but was reading that it may be too late. Thank you.

Lane County Oregon

It's a little early for new growth. Oil can be effective but must thoroughly cover the underside of the leaves...much easier to do on rhododendron than azalea due to their stature!

If good coverage on the bottom of the leaves proves difficult, acephate is an active ingredient registered for use on ornamentals that offers systemic protection (taken up by the plant, so protects from within). You can purchase it in the form of a liquid or a granule. The granules include a fertilizer (Lilly Miller brand) and can be spread around the plant when new growth begins to appear..

Here is a link to more detailed information about the azalea lace bug:

https://pnwhandbooks.org/insect/hort/landscape/hosts-pests-landscape-plants/azalea-rhododendron-azalea-rhododendron-lace-bug