Clean up, botulism concern

Asked March 5, 2018, 1:42 AM EST

My mom insisted on opening a can of tuna that was dented and sightly puffed out. When she heard the air escape and the can flatten upon puncturing, she agreed to discard it. She said she didn't realize that canned tuna could support botulism, and also she thought the can had to be more severely puffed to be off concern. Anyway, now that the can has been removed from the house. I'm wondering what else I need to do. Should I discard the can opener? I rinsed it in the sink. Do I need to sanitize the sink? Thanks for any advice.

Philadelphia County Pennsylvania

You were right for throwing out the can. Be sure it gets taken out of the house as well. While there are a number of organisms that can get into a dented can and cause gas for formation, it is always good to take precautions. I would suggest pouring straight Clorox bleach onto the can opener and then rinsing it off in hot water. I would clean any areas where there can be spillage with straight bleach as well.