Yellow Jacket and Wasps

Asked March 4, 2018, 3:36 PM EST

How do we prepare front and back yards in March, to be Yellow jacket and wasp free in the summer? SA

Multnomah County Oregon yellow jackets wasps

Thank you for your question about wasps. (Yellowjackets are wasps; but paper wasps are also common in the Pacific Northwest). I'm going to refer you to an excellent OSU Extension article on these insects, because understanding that they are actually beneficial insects may help you make some decisions. I don't know if you have any wasp nests on your property, but ones used in prior years won't be returned to, so they can be destroyed without any potential harm to you. Keeping sources of food (protein, such as summer barbeques!) away from their grasp will limit the attractiveness of your property. If you feel you must use the yellow traps, know that other beneficial insects such as bees may also die there.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!