First and last frost date for Corvallis

Asked March 3, 2018, 4:28 PM EST

Hi, I just had a quick question as the dates are all over the place on the internet. I live in South Town by the Willamette Community Garden on Goodnight. Could you please tell me the approximate first and last front dates for this area. Thanks! Rachael

Benton County Oregon frost free date horticulture

Hi there! There is a lot of information out there. Here is what I came up with. Somewhere around April 28 is the AVERAGE last frost date and October 22 is the AVERAGE first frost date for the Corvallis area. The key word here is average. That date is an average of when this occurs meaning the last frost and early frost dates usually happen somewhere around these dates. We can experience a late frost into May and an early frost before the October date. Pay attention to your local weather reports and be sure to take measures to cover and protect frost sensitive plants if a late frost is expected. Keep your plants hydrated as dry roots are more susceptible to cold. Have row covers ready to cover young seedlings. Another consideration is the micro climate in the are you have planted in. Based on the topography of your area you could experience a late bout of frost when neighboring property does not. Again, watch the weather reports for your area and take precautions as needed.