Hameln Growth

Asked March 1, 2018, 3:50 PM EST

I planted some dwarf fountain grass in mid-September in NJ this past fall and it was only a few inches tall. I bought it in a very immature state (just some wispy looking bunches). How long does it take for the grass to grow into the beautiful mounds I've seen? I knew it wouldn't grow through the winter but am just wondering if this will take years or be grown this summer.

Ocean County New Jersey

Thank you for your fountain grass question. The rate of its growth depends on the conditions in which it finds itself, and it didn't get much of a chance to establish a root system between planting and winter, so it will be behind others in its class. And, you selected a dwarf, so don't expect it to get too large when it's mature. This source indicates it is one of the smaller of the Pennisetum family. However, with adequate sun, water and nutrients, you should see a respectable-looking plant in the spring and summer of 2019. Patience in all things horticultural! Good luck!