Soaking Seeds in water before planting

Asked February 28, 2018, 9:19 AM EST

Hello I am new to gardening and would like to grow vegetables in containers. There is a lot of confusing advice on the internet, especially about soaking seed for 8-12 hours before planting. Some even advocate doing so in boiling water. Others recommend a weak acidic solution. I consulted The extremely reliable and professional website of the Royal Horticultural Society, UK and could find no recommendation of soaking seeds, in their vegetable growing advice section. I seek your expert opinion whether all seeds be they flower or vegetable be soaked before planting or only some specific varieties need this treatment. I thank you in advance. Hilal

Minnesota

Many seeds like peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, and radishes germinate very easily if their growing environments are moist and warm. Tiny seeds usually do not need soaking overnight. Other seeds like okra and lupine have seeds coats that need nicked or soaked overnight. Please go to the following site for more details.
Send us a list of your seeds if you need more germination instructions.

Thank you very much. Your reply is extremely helpful and most informative. Highly obliged.

Hilal