Sump pump discharge exit...under water

Hi! I live in a home that is built into a small hill. So, when you walk in off the street and go to the back of the home, you are 12 feet above the ground. So, my house is considered a ranch with a walk out lower level. The sump pump discharges into a small creek behind the house. However, when we get several inches of rain, the creek becomes a small stream and the sump pump discharge exit is under water. While I know the system is designed to stop water from flowing backwards, how does the sump pump get rid of water if the exit is under water?

Franklin County Ohio

As long as the water level of the river is lower than the pipe from the house, the pump can push the water out the end of the hose. The pump supplies pressure that is greater than the water at the end of the hose. This is similar to the pump pushing water up from the basement to a ground level higher than the basement floor.