Dieing evergreens

What causes a Japanese Yew to turn orange and die? Mine was probably 30yrs old and very healthy. The entire plant turned yellow/orange and then brown. I have seen others in the county doing the same thing. I lost two skyrockets to bagworms, but the yew didn't have them.

Wicomico County Maryland insect issues shrubs cottony camellia scale yews yews dying yew suddenly turn yellow and die

Yews do not like 'wet feet'. If its soil is too soggy or saturated, the roots will get a kind of rot and die. When they die suddenly, that is often the cause. There may have been a change in the soil grade there, so that the soil became wetter. Often soil will settle over time and retain more water. This is the most common cause of sudden death in yews.

Also check that mulch was not piled around the base of the yews where it may have retained moisture and contributed to wet soil.

Another possibility would be that the shrub had cottony camellia scale which went unnoticed. Here is information about that: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/carpet-beetles

Once a shrub or tree is dead, it is very difficult to diagnose what killed it. If you examine the shrub and see any obvious problems, you could send us close-ups.

Thank you for the response. I had a friend just tell me the same thing. I was worried there was a new disease or insect. I just lost a weeping hemlock not far from the yew as well. We have had two years of very wet weather. I have seen many grubs, but there were none under the yews roots and it hardly had any roots. So root rot it is. The wet weather has caused wire grass to flourish and if you know of anything other than pulling and Roundup....PLEASE let me know.

You sound on top of things.

Yes, pulling and glyphosate (in many products now, not just Roundup) are the way to go.

Search wiregrass on our website. Herbicides "suppress" don't kill. And must be applied continually.

You sound on top of things.