My ivy is dying

I live on a hill. The shallow sloped areas of my yard are grass covered. The grass covered areas get partial sun. The steep areas, which are more shaded, are normally covered with ivy to prevent erosion. The ivy has thrived and been effective for erosion control for nearly 50 years. Over the past few years the ivy has been dying. I have not done anything unusual to the yard. What can I do to encourage the ivy to grow?

Anne Arundel County Maryland ivy english ivy vines invasive english ivy dying

We assume you have what is known as English ivy?
Look closely at it to see whether it has leaf spotting, stem spotting or dead areas. These beds are often under trees. Old English ivy beds often get a fungal disease because a lot of debris (especially fallen leaves) builds up below the leaves and holds moisture around the stems and leaves: http://extension.umd.edu/learn/ivy-leaf-spot-english-ivy Infected beds can be renovated. Spring is the time to do it. They should spring back with new growth after being mowed and all debris raked away.
You can send us photos if you would like help with the disease identification.