ADU provisions

I am interested in tearing down my garage and replacing it with a 2 story garage with a small apartment above. My house footprint is 1333 feet and my lot is a corner lot of 12196 square feet. I do not live in the house. It is rented out. I would like to use the auxiliary dwelling as a place for my brother and I to stay during the summers so we can visit family, work on the main house, etc. Our property manager mentions that it could be advantageous to rent out the ADU as a student rental during the school season. Is this a viable option? Also, do you know of any reliable builders for carriage houses prefab or traditional? There seems to be a lot of proposed rules in Grand Rapids about ADUs right now that would really help streamline this process. Any idea on when they are being taken up for a vote?

Kent County Michigan

Given that the house is already a rental, it appears that the option to rent the ADU to a student would run afoul of the zoning ordinance requirement that one of the dwelling units must be owner-occupied. (See Section 5.9.03(H) of the Grand Rapids City Zoning Ordinance.) However, I do not have any information on proposed amendments to the ordinance or other rules affecting ADUs.

We do not endorse or recommend any particular builders or other service providers. I would suggest contacting the Home Builders Association of Greater Grand Rapids, whose website is mygrhome.com.