Looking for tall plant or vine for morning sun and low water

Asked February 23, 2018, 11:47 AM EST

I have a trellis up the east side of my house on which I am trying to grow something. I have tried clematis, porcelain vine and trumpet vine. none have done well. They are short and don't flower. It is in the back of my day lily garden. I saw my first Japanese beetle last summer, so I prefer not to attract any more. This plant could have edible fruit or flowers that would show up against a brick wall. Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you so much for your insights.

Jefferson County Colorado

There may be some options for you but first I need to know if the site in full sun, full shade or part shade. I would also like to know what direction the trellis faces (North East South or West).

Sorry, I just re-read the title of your request and realized you mention An east facing wall. Any new plant will require weekly watering to get established but after the first year or two you should be able to cut back on the water. My best plant suggestion for your situation is Kinsley's Ghost honeysuckle, Trumpet vine should also work and you may want to try that vine again. Trumpet vine do require more water to establish. Japanese beetles are a big problem. I have included a link to our fact sheet on this pest: http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/insects/japanese-beetle-5-601/

Curtis -
Thank you so much for your suggestion. The trumpet vine has been there for 3 years and hasn't gotten 4' tall and has never flowered. Does it take longer than that to take off? I was ready to pull it out this spring.
I do have 4 "lemonade" honeysuckle plants that are doing well in the yard but they have full sun. They also get powdery mildew each August, but they are are incredible before that. Thanks for the article on the Japanese beetle.
Carol

Dear Carol,

Try giving the trumpet vine some fertilizer and additional water this coming season and see if it takes off. Trumpet vines do like full sun but should perform in an eastern exposure if there is some direct sun for part of the day.