Certain Trees Not Dropping Leaves

Asked February 23, 2018, 10:36 AM EST

I live in Howard County and I've noticed that every single ornamental (Japanese ?) maple in the neighborhood has failed to drop it's leaves as of late February. I also have a white Crape Myrtle that failed to drop it's leaves. Is there some kind of disease or pest going around?

Howard County Maryland japanese maples trees japanese maple leaves not dropping trees not dropping leaves crape myrtle leaves not dropping

This phenomenon is being observed all over the region for many species, especially it seems for exotic species. It is caused by the odd weather conditions last fall when it stayed warm into December. Plants were not able to sever the connection with the leaves--a process called abscission--normally, because temperatures suddenly went to extremely cold and the plants went dormant.
All the dead leaves should fall off in the spring when new leaves come out. No treatment or steps are necessary.

OK, thank you. I had feared it was something like the Emerald Ash Borer that decimated half the neighborhood last year.

Thanks again.