Avocado tree

Asked February 21, 2018, 11:54 AM EST

We have a huge avocado tree in our yard in Southern California, which has hundreds of fruit. However, they are the same size as 6 months ago...not growing larger. What could the problem be?

Orange County California avocados

Thank you for your avocado question. There may be no problem at all. They may just have reached their mature size, and can be picked. Without knowing the variety of your avocado, it's difficult to say when its maturity date is, but here is a link to an Extension article with lots of information about this issue. Hope it's helpful. Good luck!

Thank you for your response. There have been half a dozen fully ripe, large avocados that have fallen from the top of the tree. The other hundreds, literally hundreds, have stayed the same size as a kiwi.

Do you know the variety? The size may not tell you anything about whether they're ripe or not, as this explains, and which is discussed here. Have you tried the smaller ones to see if they're ripe?

After checking online, I believe it is a Reed. The few large ones we've been able to find closer to the top are fabulous. The others are kiwi sized and very hard.

I'm afraid I've run out of suggestions for you. I'm going to suggest that you take some of the large, ripe fruit from the top of the tree, together with some of the smaller ones from the bottom, as well as a photograph of your tree, to your county Extension office. I'd also recommend you take some notes about your pattern of care for the tree: watering, fertilization, etc. The UC Cooperative Extension office is at 7601 Irvine Boulevard, Irvine. You might want to call ahead to determine their hours of operation ((949) 653-1809). Hope they can be helpful. Good luck!